What is Google Apps?
Google Apps is a suite of web-based messaging and collaboration applications that Google hosts on their own servers. Google provides these applications as a "service," rather than as software you have to download and install. To access these applications, you simply use a web browser on any computer that's connected to the Internet.
Why did we choose Google Apps?
Based on our recent growth and cost trends, we looked for an email and calendar solution that could provide with us the following benefits:
- Lower infrastructure costs — All your email will be stored securely on Google's servers, so we'll no longer have to maintain email servers on-site
- Ability to consolidate our platforms — We can eliminate redundancy by moving all of our email and calendar platforms to Google Apps
- Lower support costs — Because Google hosts the email and calendar services, there's no more email client software to maintain on your computer
- Innovative solutions — We can leverage the ongoing creative and technical solutions of the Google Apps platform to provide employees with powerful, easy-to-use tools for getting their work done
- Highly scalable environment — With Google Apps, our email capacity will grow automatically as our organization grows, and we'll avoid the complexity of internal systems
- Access to services from anywhere, at anytime — A key benefit of the Google-hosted solution is that we can access email, contacts, and calendar from any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection, from anywhere in the world
- More collaboration features — With Google's next-generation applications, we can collaborate with colleagues, customers, and partners more easily and efficiently than ever before
- Instant messaging — Because Google Apps includes Google Talk, we can now implement an instant messaging system for our organization
What does Google Apps include?